(well lookie here. State Department running honey-pot White Nationalist organizations complete with their own employees serving as the cut-outs. Go figure, right?)
from the Business Insider
- A State Department employee led a white-nationalist group in Washington, DC, according to a Southern Poverty Law Center report.
- The department confirmed to INSIDER that the man is an employee but would not say whether the allegations affected his status.
- "This individual is employed by the Department of State as a foreign affairs officer assigned to the Bureau of Energy Resources in Washington, DC," a State Department spokesperson told INSIDER.
- The official was placed on leave as of Thursday, according to a Politico report.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The official, identified as Matthew Gebert, "hosted white nationalists at his home and published white nationalist propaganda online," the report said.
A State Department spokesperson on Wednesday told INSIDER that Gebert is a foreign-affairs officer assigned to the Bureau of Energy Resources in Washington, DC.
When asked whether the allegations in the SPLC report would affect Gebert's employment status, the department spokesperson told INSIDER, "The Department of State cannot comment on personnel issues but is committed to providing an inclusive workplace."
Gebert was placed on leave as of Thursday, according to a Politico report.
Gebert joined the department in 2013, according to the SPLC report, during the Obama administration. Based on his position as a foreign-affairs officer, he's a civil servant and not a political appointee.
According to the SPLC report, Gebert operated online under the pseudonym "Coach Finstock."
"Through that alias, he expressed a desire to build a country for whites only," the report said...
[read more here]